Home Office Deduction
up to $1,500 a Year
Where on what forms do I Deduct Business Use of the home?
Deduct expenses for the business use of your home on Form 1040 or Form 1040-SR. Where you deduct these expenses on the form depends on whether you are a self-employed person or a partner.
If you use your home in your trade or business and file Schedule C (Form 1040 or 1040-SR), report the entire deduction for business use of your home on line 30 of Schedule C (Form 1040 or 1040-SR).
Our web pages on
Home Office Deduction
If you use your home for business, you may be able to deduct expenses for the business use of your home. If you qualify, you can claim the deduction whether you rent or own your home. You may use either the simplified method or the regular method to claim your deduction.
- Regular and Exclusive Use.
- As a general rule, you must use a part of your home regularly and exclusively for business purposes. The part of your home used for business must also be:
Your principal place of business, or
A place where you meet clients or customers in the normal course of business, or
A separate structure not attached to your home. Examples could include a garage or a studio.
- Simplified Option. If you use the simplified option, multiply the allowable square footage of your office by a rate of $5. The maximum footage allowed is 300 square feet. This option will save you time because it simplifies how you figure and claim the deduction. It will also make it easier for you to keep records. This option does not change the rules for claiming a home office deduction.
- Regular Method. This method includes certain costs that you paid for your home. For example, if you rent your home, part of the rent you paid may qualify. If you own your home, part of the mortgage interest, taxes and utilities you paid may qualify. The amount you can deduct usually depends on the percentage of your home used for business.
- Self-employed taxpayers file Form 1040, Schedule C, and compute this deduction on Form 8829.
- Deduction Limit. If your gross income from the business use of your home is less than your expenses, the deduction for some expenses may be limited.
- If you are self-employed and choose the regular method, use
- Form 8829, Expenses for Business Use of Your Home, to figure the amount you can deduct.
- You can claim your deduction using either method on Schedule C, Profit or Loss From Business.
- See the Schedule C instructions for how to report your deduction.
- You must meet additional rules to claim the deduction if you are an employee. For example, your business use must also be for the convenience of your employer. If you qualify, you claim the deduction on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions.
For more on this topic, see Publication 587, Business Use of Your Home. Scroll down or it’s in the right hand column
There are special rules for certain business owners:
Home Office Deduction – Video
Business Meal Expense Video
Visit our Webpage on Schedule C
- Self Employed & S Corp Health Insurance Deduction on 1040 Line 29
Free Instant Quotes - Including Subsidy Calculation
Same Price as Covered CA or Direct with Insurance Company!
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
How to use our FREE Quote Engine, Subsidy Calculator and get the MOST from the experience.
When you get a FREE quote, you can also see the benefits, view actual brochures, MD and Hospital Lists all ONE easy process with no obligation & it can be anonymous. Enter your zip code, date of birth, family - household taxation relationships (MAGI - Definition), Estimated MAGI - Modified Adjusted Gross Income for the upcoming - current year. Last years tax return only gives an idea so that Covered CA can approve your advance tax credit to help pay premiums.
This website and are individual consultation are provided to you FREE of Charge! We are paid by Covered CA and/or the Insurance Companies to help you. When you fill out the Covered CA ONLINE Application, just appoint us as your agent under Find Help in the Upper Right Hand Corner so that we get paid for helping you. Click here for screen shots for more detail of how to do it. If you prefer, you can pay us a consultation fee in lieu of appointing us as your agent, for educational services only.
You can then see all the quotes on the exchange, showing the Cost Share Reduction - Enhanced Silver if available, subsidy - tax credit amount and your net premium. If you click "Off Exchange" you will see more plans and companies which may have larger provider lists. Scroll down for more screen shots.
Then click on "View Plan Details" - "View Doctor's & Providers" - to compare and get more information. Please note that the quote engine does not show enhanced silver, but shows silver at 70%. Check our chart for the better silver coverage. To apply, click on apply now or use the links in the right hand column, ON THIS PAGE, but it will have you redo the quote for that specific company. The price is the SAME, no matter if you use us, go direct to Covered CA or the Insurance Company, as mandated by law! If applying through Covered CA, be sure to sign the form to appoint us as your agent. It's not all the easy to figure out how to do it on their website.
If you have any questions email [email protected] or call us 310.519.1335
Life Insurance Buyers Guide
Related Pages for Self Employed
Schedule C – Line 12 Biz Income or Loss, Line 29 Health Insurance Premiums, Line 37 Adjusted Gross Income, MAGI Income