Vacation Homes MAGI Income?
Renting out a vacation property to others can be profitable. If you do this, you must normally report the rental income on your tax return. You may not have to report the rent, however, if the rental period is short and you also use the property as your home. Here are some tips that you should know:
- Vacation Home. A vacation home can be a house, apartment, condominium, mobile home, boat or similar property.
- Schedule E. You usually report rental income and rental expenses on Schedule E, Supplemental Income and Loss. Your rental income may also be subject to Net Investment Income Tax.
- Used as a Home. If the property is “used as a home,” your rental expense deduction is limited. This means your deduction for rental expenses can’t be more than the rent you received. For more about these rules, see Publication 527, Residential Rental Property (Including Rental of Vacation Homes).
- Divide Expenses. If you personally use your property and also rent it to others, special rules apply. You must divide your expenses between rental use and personal use. To figure how to divide your costs, you must compare the number of days for each type of use with the total days of use.
- Personal Use. Personal use may include use by your family. It may also include use by any other property owners or their family. Use by anyone who pays less than a fair rental price is also considered personal use.
- Schedule A. Report deductible expenses for personal use on Schedule A, Itemized Deductions. These may include costs such as mortgage interest, property taxes and casualty losses.
- Rented Less than 15 Days. If the property is “used as a home” and you rent it out fewer than 15 days per year, you do not have to report the rental income. In this case you deduct your qualified expenses on Schedule A.
- Use IRS Free File. If you still need to file your 2015 tax return, you can use IRS Free File to make filing easier. Free File is available until Oct. 17. Free File is available only through the IRS.gov website.
See our Main Page on Rental Income.
Additional IRS Resources:
- Tax Topic 415 – Renting Residential and Vacation Property
- Rental Income and Expenses – Real Estate Tax Tips
- IRS Tax Tip 2018-79, May 22, 2018
Related Pages in What counts as Income – Expense or Deduction for AGI line 37? Section
IRS Mortgage Interest Deduction
Steve Shorr - Covered CA Certified Agent -
No Charge for Complementary Year Around Service -
Same price as Covered CA or Direct with Insurance Company
Get instant Quotes, including APTC Subsidy Calculation
Set up time for phone, Skype or face to face meeting
Video on how great agents are
Free Instant Quotes - Including Subsidy Calculation
Same Price as Covered CA or Direct with Insurance Company!
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
How to use our FREE Quote Engine, Subsidy Calculator and get the MOST from the experience.
When you get a FREE quote, you can also see the benefits, view actual brochures, MD and Hospital Lists all ONE easy process with no obligation & it can be anonymous. Enter your zip code, date of birth, family - household taxation relationships (MAGI - Definition), Estimated MAGI - Modified Adjusted Gross Income for the upcoming - current year. Last years tax return only gives an idea so that Covered CA can approve your advance tax credit to help pay premiums.
This website and are individual consultation are provided to you FREE of Charge! We are paid by Covered CA and/or the Insurance Companies to help you. When you fill out the Covered CA ONLINE Application, just appoint us as your agent under Find Help in the Upper Right Hand Corner so that we get paid for helping you. Click here for screen shots for more detail of how to do it. If you prefer, you can pay us a consultation fee in lieu of appointing us as your agent, for educational services only.
You can then see all the quotes on the exchange, showing the Cost Share Reduction - Enhanced Silver if available, subsidy - tax credit amount and your net premium. If you click "Off Exchange" you will see more plans and companies which may have larger provider lists. Scroll down for more screen shots.
Then click on "View Plan Details" - "View Doctor's & Providers" - to compare and get more information. Please note that the quote engine does not show enhanced silver, but shows silver at 70%. Check our chart for the better silver coverage. To apply, click on apply now or use the links in the right hand column, ON THIS PAGE, but it will have you redo the quote for that specific company. The price is the SAME, no matter if you use us, go direct to Covered CA or the Insurance Company, as mandated by law! If applying through Covered CA, be sure to sign the form to appoint us as your agent. It's not all the easy to figure out how to do it on their website.
If you have any questions email [email protected] or call us 310.519.1335