How does Gift Income count towards
MAGI – Modified Adjusted Gross Income
for Covered CA Subsidies?
Gifts – Not Counted
The giver of the gift does not have to pay tax on gifts that are less than the annual exclusion limit, which generally changes every year. Currently, the annual exclusion is $14,000 per recipient. In other words, you can give up to $14,000 to each of your children this year without having to pay any gift tax.
Thus, if you don’t have to show the gifts on your 1040, it’s not MAGI income for Covered CA.
We are not attorney’s or tax advisers – double check with your professional adviser or VITA Volunteers Income Tax Assistance.
The general rule is that any gift is a taxable gift.
The following are nontaxable gifts:
- Gifts that do not exceed the annual exclusion for the calendar year,
- Tuition or medical expenses you paid directly to a medical or educational institution for someone,
- Gifts to your spouse
- Gifts to a political organization for its use, and
- Gifts to charities.
- Annual Exclusion. For 2015, the annual exclusion is $14,000. Most gifts are not subject to the gift tax. For example, there is usually no tax if you make a gift to your spouse or to a charity. If you give a gift to someone else, the gift tax usually does not apply until the value of the gift exceeds the annual exclusion for the year.
- No Tax on Recipient. Generally, the person who receives your gift will not have to pay taxes on it.
- Gifts Not Deductible. Making a gift does not ordinarily affect your taxes. You cannot deduct the value of gifts you make (other than deductible charitable contributions).
- Forgiven Debt and Certain Loans. The gift tax may also apply when you forgive a debt or give a loan that is interest-free or below the market interest rate.
- Gift-Splitting. You and your spouse can give a gift up to $28,000 to a third party without making it a taxable gift. You can consider that one-half of the gift be given by you and one-half by your spouse.
- Filing Requirement. You must file Form 709, United States Gift (and Generation-Skipping Transfer) Tax Return, if any of the following apply:
- You gave gifts to at least one person (other than your spouse) that amount to more than the annual exclusion for the year.
- You and your spouse are splitting a gift. This is true even if half of the split gift is less than the annual exclusion.
- You gave someone (other than your spouse) a gift of a future interest that they can’t actually possess, enjoy, or from which they’ll receive income later.
- You gave your spouse an interest in property that will terminate due to a future event.
- For more information, see Publication 559, Survivors, Executors, and Administrators.
Educational and Medical Exclusions
Payments that you make on someone’s behalf for qualified tuition or medical expenses do not count towards the annual limit for gift tax purposes.
However, your payment(s) must be made directly to a qualifying educational organization or medical care provider in order to qualify for the exclusion. You can also place funds directly into a 529 education savings plan to avoid the gift tax — but note that certain rules apply. IRS.com (NOT a government Site!)
- Who pays the gift tax?
- What is considered a gift?
- What can be excluded from gifts?
- May I deduct gifts on my income tax return?
- How many annual exclusions are available?
- What if my spouse and I want to give away property that we own together?
- What other information do I need to include with the return?
- What is “Fair Market Value?”
- Whom should I hire to represent me and prepare and file the return?
- Do I have to talk to the IRS during an examination?
- What if I disagree with the examination proposals?
- What if I sell property that has been given to me?
- Can a married same sex donor claim the gift tax marital deduction for a transfer to his or her spouse?
Links & Resources
Survivors, Executors, and Administrators IRS publication 950, Be careful, might be out of date –
Introduction to Estate and Gift Taxes •
Free Instant Quotes - Including Subsidy Calculation
Same Price as Covered CA or Direct with Insurance Company!
Guaranteed Issue - No Pre X Clause
How to use our FREE Quote Engine, Subsidy Calculator and get the MOST from the experience.
When you get a FREE quote, you can also see the benefits, view actual brochures, MD and Hospital Lists all ONE easy process with no obligation & it can be anonymous. Enter your zip code, date of birth, family - household taxation relationships (MAGI - Definition), Estimated MAGI - Modified Adjusted Gross Income for the upcoming - current year. Last years tax return only gives an idea so that Covered CA can approve your advance tax credit to help pay premiums.
This website and are individual consultation are provided to you FREE of Charge! We are paid by Covered CA and/or the Insurance Companies to help you. When you fill out the Covered CA ONLINE Application, just appoint us as your agent under Find Help in the Upper Right Hand Corner so that we get paid for helping you. Click here for screen shots for more detail of how to do it. If you prefer, you can pay us a consultation fee in lieu of appointing us as your agent, for educational services only.
You can then see all the quotes on the exchange, showing the Cost Share Reduction - Enhanced Silver if available, subsidy - tax credit amount and your net premium. If you click "Off Exchange" you will see more plans and companies which may have larger provider lists. Scroll down for more screen shots.
Then click on "View Plan Details" - "View Doctor's & Providers" - to compare and get more information. Please note that the quote engine does not show enhanced silver, but shows silver at 70%. Check our chart for the better silver coverage. To apply, click on apply now or use the links in the right hand column, ON THIS PAGE, but it will have you redo the quote for that specific company. The price is the SAME, no matter if you use us, go direct to Covered CA or the Insurance Company, as mandated by law! If applying through Covered CA, be sure to sign the form to appoint us as your agent. It's not all the easy to figure out how to do it on their website.
If you have any questions email [email protected] or call us 310.519.1335