What about Child Support?
- Child Support doesn’t show as income on the 1040, but alimony shows on line 11, thus child support doesn’t count toward subsidies, Health Care.Gov * IRS.Gov per MAGI definition.
- Who is taking the deduction for the children?
- A taxpayer’s family means the individuals for whom a taxpayer properly claims a deduction for a personal exemption under section 151.
- See the definition of MAGI – Modified Adjusted Gross Income (CFR 36B) on our website.
- Thus, if the non-custodial parent is claiming the deduction for the children, the subsidies would be worked out on their income, not the parent who has primary custody.
- So, the parent taking the deduction, would have the subsidies based on their income and deductions. Child support would still be included in income, as it’s not deductible.
- Alimony would be though.
- Is there Employer coverage available?
For a full analysis it’s imperative that you view our other pages on the Advance Premium Tax Credit and check with competent legal and tax professionals. If you would like to talk to a professional tax advisor about this try Bruce Bialosky [email protected] 310.273.8250
Did this page answer all your questions? Scroll down to our Q & A section to ask them and we will respond. You do not have to leave your name.
Problems with your Child Support Order?
Links & References
Child Support Calculator
California Courts Self Help Section on Child Support
Child Support does not count as Income (IRS.Gov)
The Office of the Family Law Facilitator assists parties with child support, spousal support and health insurance issues No charge.
Confidential Life Insurance – Insure someone without them knowing about it – must have INSURABLE interest, like alimony or child support
Other pages in MAGI section
- Income Application Questions?
- Income Chart
- Individual Mandate
- KISS? FAQ’s
CA Court Website on Child Support
IRS on changing name after Marriage or Divorce
Steve Shorr - Covered CA Certified Agent -
No Charge for Complementary Year Around Service -
Same price as Covered CA or Direct with Insurance Company
Get instant Quotes, including APTC Subsidy Calculation
Set up time for phone, Skype or face to face meeting
Video on how great agents are
Covered CA – Countable Sources of Income –
Getting to MAGI and Line 37 or 7 AGI
THE DUTY TO SUPPORT ADULT DISABLED CHILDREN
child support guidelines.com
Support of Grandchild …… 3930
Liability to Others Who Provide Support for Child 3950-3952
COURT-ORDERED CHILD SUPPORT
General Provisions 4000-4014
Statewide Uniform Guideline 4050-4076
Enforcement by District Attorney 4200-4205
Child Support Commissioners 4250-4253
50 year old attorney with depression
Instant Complementary Health Insurance Proposals, Quotes, Subsidy Calculation and ONLINE Enrollment
Instructions to appoint us as your broker with Covered CA – no additional charge!
InsuBuy International Medical Coverage – Instant Quotes & Enrollment
Visit our Medicare affiliate CA Blue Cross or Blue Shield websites
Is your Family Protected with Life Insurance? Click here for Instant Quote
Dental for Everyone Instant Quotes & Apply ONLINE