Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) (2) … means adjusted gross income – Line 37* or 7 of the new 2018 1040 * Health Care.Gov * 26 USC §62
Line 37 Prior to 2018 Adjusted Gross Income from your Tax Return Form # 1040
2018 1040 Form
2018 Schedule 1 Additional Income & Adjustments to Income
What counts as income?
Covered CA - Countable Sources of Income -
Getting to MAGI and Line 37 AGI
Household income means Code of FEDERAL Regulations – IRS Income Taxes – 1.36B 1 – (e) …(1) … the sum of—
(i) A taxpayer’s modified adjusted gross income; (Line 37 1040) plus
(ii) The aggregate modified adjusted gross income of all other individuals who—
(A) Are included in the taxpayer’s family under paragraph (d) [below] of this section; and
(B) Are required to file a return of tax imposed by section 1 for the taxable year (determined without regard to the exception under section (1)(g)(7) to the requirement to file a return). [26 USC §6012 ♦ IRS tool to see if you must file a return ♦ Medi-Cal Household Size Flow Chart ♦ Blog – Insure Me Kevin.com]
(d) … A taxpayer’s family means the individuals for whom a taxpayer properly claims a deduction for a personal exemption under section 151 for the taxable year.
Family size [Medi-Cal Household Size Flow Chart ♦ Blog – Insure Me Kevin.com] means the number of individuals in the family. Family and family size may include individuals who are not subject to or are exempt from the penalty [mandate] under §5000 A (f) (1) for failing to maintain minimum essential coverage.
(a) Allowance of deductions
In the case of an individual, the exemptions provided by this section shall be allowed as deductions in computing taxable income.
To be more clear — (2) Married taxpayers must file joint return. A taxpayer who is married (within the meaning of section 7703) at the close of the taxable year is an applicable taxpayer only if the taxpayer and the taxpayer’s spouse file a joint return for the taxable year. GPO.Gov Final Regulations Page 11 * Turbo Tax Calculator * Tax Policy Center….. Joint or separate? * Estranged Spouse?
View other pages & resources in this section…
Power Point presentation CMS Income Counting MAGI
Health Care.Gov – What income to count
See also this article on Kevin’s site
If you would like to talk to a professional tax adviser about this try Bruce Bialosky [email protected] 310.273.8250
Steve Shorr - Covered CA Certified Agent -
Appoint Us - Instructions
No Charge for Complementary Year Around Service -
Same price as Covered CA or Direct with Insurance Company
Video on how great agents are
Child, Related Pages & Site Map
- Income Chart – Line 37** Covered CA MAGI
- Income or Expense or Deduction for AGI line 37? What counts as?
- Alimony – From a Divorce Settlement – Line 11 & 31
- Annuity Income? IRA, Pension # 1040 Line 16a
- Calif. Earned Income Tax Credit
- Capital Gains – Line 13
- Caregiver Income?
- Charitable Donations
- Clergy – Housing Allowance?
- Debt Cancellation?
- Educational Credits
- Employee Business Expense Unreimbursed
- FAQ Taxable & Non-Taxable Income?
- Foreign Income IRC §911 – Line 21
- Fudging the Income or Deductions?
- Gambling Income & Losses – Other Income Line 21
- Gift Income?
- Interest Income – Line 8 a & b
- Itemize or use Standard Deduction?
- Life Insurance Proceeds
- Medical Expense Deduction – Line 40 Individual
- Military – Armed Forces
- Rental Income? Line 17
- Schedule C – Self-Employment Income – Line 12
- SDI State Disability Benefits Taxable?
- Sharing, Gig, On Demand, Access Economy, Air Bnb, Lyft, Uber
- Social Security Benefits Line 20 a & b
- Student Loan Interest?
- Questions? on Income Covered CA Application