2016 to 2018 the tax penalty for not having Health Insurance that complies with the law, is $695 a year per adult and $347.50 per child or 2.5% of income whichever is higher. IRC 5000A (Mandate PLUS?) Final Regulations Proposed Rules Congressional Budget Office HN Pulse
After that there are cost of living adjustments and see chart below right.
On the others, the penalty is ZERO for 2019.
Learn More ⇒ Kaiser Foundation
How to calculate the Penalty
if you didn’t get coverage and don’t have an exemption.
Six changes Trump can still make to ACA NPR 3.29.2017
- IRS Website on calculating the penalty
- Friendly Competitors Webpage on how to calculate the penalty
Instructions on how to appoint us as your Covered CA Certified Agent – No Extra Charge. We only get compensated when you appoint us.
Resources & Links
Be wary of tax scams New York Times 1.31.2016
Click here to enroll in year around Agent support for your Covered CA account at no additional charge.
Analysis by TheHill.com 4.24.2015 says the penalty is too low to encourage enrollment.
Related Pages in the Mandate Section
- End of Mandate – End of ACA Obamacare?
- Tax Penalty 2.5% of Income Calculation Mandate
- Who is mandated to get Health Insurance?
- §5000 A – Requirement to maintain Health Insurance
- Exemptions from Mandate Penalty IRS Form #8965
- Flow Chart – Are you mandated to get Health Insurance?
- z30% Penalty for not having prior coverage – Donald Care AHCA §133 Historical
The individual shared responsibility provision requires that you and each member of your family have qualifying health insurance, a health coverage exemption, or make a payment for any months without coverage or an exemption when you file. If you, your spouse and dependents had health insurance coverage all year, you will indicate this by simply checking a box on your tax return.
In 2015 – the tax penalty for not having Medical Coverage is about $325 a year or 2% of family income. IRC 5000A (Mandate PLUS?) Final Regulations Proposed Rules Congressional Budget Office The Fine Capped at $2,448 per person and $12,240 for a family of five. HN Pulse